Thursday, August 10, 2006

"Dueling Pianos", or so I thought...

Last weekend I thought I would try something new and plan the activities for the night. Normally I would leave this task up to my husband because I truly hate trying to plan things, and rarely can think of anything fun to do, but I thought I would give him a break for once. I made a few calls, talked with a friend who supposively had some good suggestions and was confident with the nights agenda. The plan was to drive up to Salt Lake, eat at Ruth's Diner "a hidden treasure", which is supposed to have a really fun atmosphere and had won several awards for it's cuisine as well. I had never been there before and thought it would be a fun new place to eat. When we pulled up, there just so happened to be about a 100 cars, a 45 minute wait and it smelled like a port-o-potty/crap. To say the least, I was a little disappointed and we didn't have time to wait for a table so we left, searching for somewhere else to dine for the evening. Apparantley a night of country singing and line dancing was already beginning in Salt Lake as a Faith Hill and Tim McGraw enchanted the crowds with duets and love songs, which made finding a place to eat a little bit more difficult than expected. So we grabbed some hamburgers at the Training Table and headed to our next destination. I was especially excited about the next activity because I was told that we would be witnessing some extraordinary piano playing. I had made a reservation at the "Tavernacle", a piano bar that put on a show where dueling pianos battled it out, or so I thought. As we paid $5 each for our "memberships" which oddly resembled a temple recommend, we made our way to the front row where our table was. To make a long story a little shorter....we listened to alot of Elton John, requested mainly by a member of our party, who also nursed a non-alcoholic beer, which I soon began to wish was mine(but with alcohol), as it seemed the only people who were enjoying this performace were drunk and beginning to get a little too involved for my taste. So as we left to the song "I touch myself" I realized why I never make the plans, why I will never take advice from my Salt Lake friend again and that the "dueling pianos" sucked.

12 comments:

Alifinale said...

Elton John rocks. That member of your party must have been such a stud with his O'Douls. Although I would have like to hang out, it sounds like I am glad that I wasn't there. But I do miss the Training Table. Please tell me you got the cheese fries and ultimate dipping sauce.

syd said...

and please tell me you kept that membership card that looks like it could get people into heaven... I'll buy it off you.

Marc said...

You LEFT during "I Touch Myself"?!!!

s.lloyd said...

I had a good time, it is the company that you keep that really makes or breaks any activity.

s.lloyd said...

The waitress had a sweet shirt at the Tavernacle that said "Our saints aren't holy, but you still have to have a membership to get in..."

Sammy Pow said...

I think it said you needed a recommend to get in. Damn that O'douls was good; however, I too wished it was the real deal.

Jill said...

Of course we got the cheese fries with the ultimate dipping sauce, they were delicious!

Marc, I was too embarassed to watch the girl who was forced up on top of the pianos for her birthday and told to "touch herself." But mainly, it was the digusting drunk girl a couple tables down that was making me nervous. I was afraid she was the next to dance on the pianos, voluntarily, so we were out of there.

Now that I think about it, some of you guys may really like this place! And Gar, I will just give you the membership, you need all the help you can get.

s.lloyd said...

Where is your newest blog?????? You can't stop now!

syd said...

seriously, don't stop a bloggin'!

Alifinale said...

I am sorry, friend, but you can't post two things and call it a blog. We are waiting....

Jill said...

Ok I will work on one. Patience.

syd said...

just pull one out of your ass, that's what i do. That is probably why most of my blogs are ass related.