Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Mac Daddy of Mac N' Cheese


Well I actually can't really say this is the best Mac N' Cheese recipe ever, because its the only one I have ever made, but it is good. I changed the recipe a little...I don't use the white cheddar and yellow cheddar, I just use a Mexican blend (cheddar and mozzarella). And I don't put the bread crumbs on top, I just put about a cup of cheese sprinkled on top (bc I like it extra cheesy) and put it in the oven for about 5 min to melt it.

Recipe
(The way I make it)

1 lb. elbow pasta
4 Tbl. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 c. flour
4 c. milk
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 1/2 c. mexican blend cheese (cheddar and mozarella)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 375. Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain and place back in pot. In another pot melt butter, add the onion and cook until soft. 3-5 min. Stir in flour to coat onion. Then slowly pour in milk until there are no lumps.

2. Cook, whisking often, until mixture is thick and bubbly and coats the back of a wooden spoon. 8-10 min. Stir in cayenne, salt and pepper. Add 2 c. of cheese. Stir til smooth.

3. Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta and toss until the pasta is coated. Transfer to a 9x13 pan (I spray it with Pam. Just to be safe). Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Put in the oven for about 5 min. Until cheese is melted on top. Serve.

5 comments:

Desiree said...

thats low calorie - right?
it looks heavenly.

juliette said...

I have to take a break from your blog because my mouth really salivates uncontrollably. Why did you teach me nothing when we were roomates......speaking of food and roomates, remember the chicken we left in the microwave? Yikes.

aimee said...

i must say i make a great mac and cheese i will have to give you the recipe! but yours just looks absolutely fantastic@

Kjohnson said...

That does look absolutely delicious.

erin said...

my left side is starting to hurt just looking at that. i need to eat this. mac 'n' cheese has a special place in my heart. YUM.