Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My name is Jill, and I love treats.

If you know me at all, you know I love to eat treats. And I just so happen to love to bake treats. It's not always a good thing. I end up eating. A lot. I start to get a headache if I haven't had a huge piece of cake by 3pm. It's sad actually. And it's something I'm working on. And I feel partly bad because I have somewhat ruined Sean. When I met him, he didn't really care for treats. But I insisted he snack right a long with me. And now he has taken on the bad(?) habit of having to eat a treat after dinner every night. I thought that was normal. Apparently it's not.


So in an effort to become more...healthy, I've been trying to keep my treats down to 1 per day. It's a struggle, I'm not gonna lie. I usually save it for right after dinner. It gives me something to look forward to each day. And maybe one of these years, I'll get it down to say...5 treats per week. But I refuse to go any lower than that.

Until that happens, I will continue to peruse the Internet, in search for delicious treats during nap time each day. It really makes me so happy. And I still expect my sister Lindsey, and friend Kathryn to keep up the good work, and send me at least 1 good recipe a day. That's not asking too much, right?

Sweet & Salty Cake
Best cake I've ever made/eaten*. Hands down.



Recipe from the Baked cookbook (found on The Culinary Couples blog), which I need. Immediately.

Next on the list:

 *The cake recipe calls for dark unsweetened cocoa powder, dark brown sugar and dark chocolate. I'm not a huge dark chocolate fan, so I opted to use regular cocoa powder, brown sugar and a milk/semi sweet chocolate combo.

11 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i haven't had a chance to try this yet since we were out of town, but now that i'm back i need to get on it and after reading your review i might have to do that tonight. mmm...salty sweet...

mb said...

that seriously looks ridiculous. you should send some my way.

p.s. 5 treats a week is totally reasonable.

k. said...

Your table runner is so perfect.

And I'm dying to make this cake. I might just do it on Saturday, but I have apprehension about you not being here with me. Conference call for a few hours, yes?

Alifinale said...

I love it because I have the same goal for myself (the one treat a day, I haven't dared venture to only 5 a week). While pregnant I try to keep it to 2 treats a day. Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Eve said...

That is one serious cake and looks very delicious!! I'd like to try it, but it looks like it might take all day. We're not all like you Jill...Incredible chef, seamstress, craftier, etc. etc. We also need you to walk us through it.

the waites said...

my name is rachel and im a sugarholic too!

cant wait to make this sunday treat. thanks for sharing. you do know best.

ps those shoes for myles were so cute, I was so mad they didnt have his size

Unknown said...

You're lucky you don't live at our house! I got so tired of everyone wanting dessert after dinner every night, this year, I've told them we only have dessert on Sunday and Monday. If we didn't have FHE on Monday, we'd only have it once a week! Good luck!

Jill said...

Ditto. I have small treats through the day and the collection of which I'm sure would horrify me if I owned up to it. I'm following your lead, I am.

I do not possess your baking skills, which is a blessing with my will-power. That cake looks AMAZING.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i thought you might be getting sick of me sending you recipes, good to know you are putting them to good use. I just made rice crispies... Extra butter of course

Aaron N said...

My name is Aaron, and the thought of only 5 treats a week is just to sad to imagine! I also have a sweet tooth and a sugar addiction. But on the bright side, at least it's not cocaine!

Emily (The Culinary Couple) said...

Isn't this cake amazing?! In fact, I'm craving a piece right now.