Sunday, June 05, 2011

Frrrozen Hot Chocolate

Made this yummy treat tonight. It is starting to get warm here and we needed a little refreshment. This hit the spot. My mom gave me Serendipity 3's "Sweet Serendipity" cookbook a few years back. It has been sitting on my counter, just because it's cute, but I had not made anything in it until tonight. Sean and I are big fans of the Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity, but my personal fav has to be the Forbidden Broadway Sundae. Mercy. I had it twice while we were in NYC. That may or may not be why I gained 27 lbs in 5 days.

So you gotta start out with their whipped cream. It's perfectly (not)sweet. Their secret ingredient? Corn syrup. Who knew? I know I sure didn't. It just marries so well with the sweet and creamy chocolate, along with the icy consistency of the.......I'm kidding people. That was for you, Brooke + Aimee.

But seriously. Try it. Thank me later.

Whipped Cream
1 c. heavy cream, very cold
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tbl. light corn syrup.

Combine the cream and vanilla and mix well. With an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, start whipping the cream on medium speed. Add the corn syrup slowly while beating. Whip until the cream holds soft peaks.

Frrrozen Hot Chocolate
6 half-ounce pieces of your favorite chocolates
2 tsp. store bought hot chocolate mix
1 1/2 Tbl. sugar
1 1/2 c. milk
3 c. ice

Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place it in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 c. of the milk and stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.

In a blender place the remaining c. of milk, the room temperature chocolate mixture, and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth and is the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy, friends.

6 comments:

k. said...

I'm really happy about you posting this. I think I'll make it... in about a month, when I get off the couch.

I need to email you so I can have something to make for dinner this week... Don't feel used. I love you for more than your recipes, although it's a nice perk of a JL friendship.

brooke said...

i just lol'd

brooke said...

ps, mom gave the the packet... i think i'll use that instead :)

Alifinale said...

I will enjoy. Thank you very much.

Emily (The Culinary Couple) said...

Yum! I've heard so much about Serendipity's frozen hot chocolate, but I have never had it. Now I have no excuse! Thanks for sharing.

erin said...

i have this cookbook too! and this is the only recipe i've ever tried. shameful.