Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Book Report

So I am reading this book called "The Five Languages of Love". I am really liking it and it has given me a lot of really good information. I just happened to be reading it the other night when the delivery guy came with a pizza. He saw the book on my counter and went on and on about how this book has made a world of difference in his life and how I will be so surprised at what I will learn about myself and my partner by the time I finish it! So thanks pizza guy for giving the motivation and boost I needed to keep reading.

The book speaks of 5 different love languages and how to "speak" that language to your partner. These languages are:

1. Words of Affirmation- Complements like "You look hot today" or "Thanks for making the bed". Knowing that he/she understands how you feel and that you can talk with them and they will be supportive and can encourage you.
2. Quality Time- This is not just watching TV together or being in the same room, this means actually talking to each other and discussing things that you feel are important and having your partner listen attentively. Another example is going on a date or doing an activity together that he/she really enjoys.
3. Receiving Gifts- Some feel loved when they receive gifts, and when they do not, they feel unappreciated. They need to see something visual to know they are loved.
4. Acts of Service- By helping with the chores around the house he/she can show them that they are loved. Not just doing something you think needs to be done, but something you know he/she would really like you to do.
5. Physical Touch- This is not just sex, some feel most loved when they are just given a hug or a kiss. Or simply by holding their hand. If their is no physical touch their relationship could be ruined.

As I have started reading I found that the way I feel love is with words of affirmation and mainly when I get to spend quality time with my husband who I am trying to get to read this book! He has started and I am interested to hear his thoughts on the subject.

So, what is your love language???

20 comments:

Alifinale said...

Someone was just telling me about this book yesterday. How funny. I have heard good things about it and that it is very helpful. I would be interested to find out what my language is and what BA's is. I kind of thought all the languages could be applicable but I think I am with you and the Affirmation and quality time speak love to me.

Jill said...

Thanks for your comment Mcdreamy, it seems as though everyone else is too scared to talk about their feeling on this blog. Babies.

Sammy Pow said...

My love language is sex and nipple twisting. I didn't see that one.

s.lloyd said...

I find it interesting that there wasn't a big asterix at the bottom of your blog that said "BTW My husband is rocking my love language world! He does the dishes, cuddles, watches the worst tv shows ever with me (mainly the Food Channel) and is always bringing home sweet gifts from steepandcheap.com that I just love!!!

My language of love is a backrub, an awesome soup and a smile.....

Shelly Bean said...

books are for suckers!!! watch t.v. it is better for you. it can also be that friend.. that friend that never leaves you out.

Jill said...

Soel, I am never left out. I am the life of every party and everyone wants to be my friend. If you are going to leave a comment again, it better be a positive one.

And....where is that blog you were bragging about??

Shelly Bean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelly Bean said...

that's wierd because we had a kick A party the other night.. and no sign of the golden lasso...
it's you and the t.v. bff.

Jill said...

Touche

Maui said...

My wife and I were going to read that book once...but after glacing at the list I knew that sex and nipple twisting weren't on there so I didn't to read any further to know mine weren't on there...word to BA remeber when we were roomates...nipple twisting good times.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

it was a joke

syd said...

my love language is nipple twisting and sex with maui and BA...

blah, blah by lindsey said...

Ok, you suck at blogging! Seriously your last post was like 2 weeks ago, get with the program.

Jill said...

Lindsey, unlike you, I do not post something every 30 seconds. I wait for people to respond and get into arguments with other people who have responded. Once I feel that all of my friends have communicated with each other then I will post something new.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i hate BA! (hate = love)...billijean, why don't you two call us? i'm cool with skipping the chit chat and being good friends! next time we'll let you pick the movie....good thing you missed out on borat. hells bells. and get some new posts up here, sheesh!

Jill said...

Lizzy, I'm pretty sure you and your hubby have a phone as well. I am a very busy girl and will only hang out with people if they call me. Thats just how I roll.

ps. I am totally cool with skipping the chit chat bull crap. We will plan something soon:)

{lizzythebotanist} said...

bj-
you're right. i do have phone. but no numbers!!! steve hoards them and won't let me call you! just kidding. the truth is we can never think of things to do so we are afraid to bore you guys. if you're down with movie-watching and board-gaming, we'll call you soon!
lizzy

Jill said...

Yes! We are meant to be bff's. I love to watch GOOD movies however I do not enjoy games like..."the name game", "charades", "catch phrase", "settlers of catan" (mainly bc I suck at it and don't know the rules), or card games with my husband (mainly bc he always wins and I hate it). Other than those, I love all games! Call me!

Marc said...

Funny TFB... I seem to remember Tyson telling me your "language of love" involved a lot more than a backrub and a smile.

Jill said...

Yeah I think its called a "happy ending"