Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Camping, Hiking and National Parks

It was Sean's birthday over the weekend and we decided to take a few days off work and go camping to celebrate!! The plan was to leave Thursday morning and come back Saturday night.
During that time we would go to some National and State Parks, hike and camp. So...that's just what we did. Our first stop was at Goblin Valley. It was awesome, we got to climb around on the "goblins" and we played hide and seek....this ended up not being so much fun for me, seeing as how I couldn't find Sean for quite a while. As you can see, there were quite a few places to hide! We also did a long hike through some slot canyons which was a lot of fun even though what we had planned to be a nice stroll turned into an 8 mile trek:). I wish we had the camera with us because there were some pretty cool sites.

Our next stop was Capitol Reef. There we hiked to the natural bridge, looked at petroglyphs and camped. In this picture you can't see the petroglyphs, but there was this walk way that went along side the mountain where you could get a pretty close look at them. It was amazing to me that the drawings have lasted so long After camping off the side of the road back in a secluded area that we found, we did a little more site seeing around Capitol Reef and then headed to the Natural Bridges park.

We made a few stops along the way as we passed through the Canyon Glenn park. Just over the ledge there used to be a mining town which was washed away in the early 1900's, now there is a landing strip in its place :(


We then arrived at the .Natural Bridges park We filled up our water bottles and got a few tips from the park ranger on where to go. We took the short drive around the park stopping at the natural bridges of course, and looked at the Indian ruins too! These houses looked to me like only a midget could fit into them, and then Sean informed me that Indians were midgets, which cleared everything up:)


Our last destination was Arches National Park. We arrived a little bit late and had a little bit of a rough start finding a place to camp for the night. The place that we originally wanted to set up ended up having a marathon running that next morning, so we would have been stuck at our camp site until 12:30 that afternoon.
So we decided to keep looking and looking and looking until finally, we found a coveted spot in an RV park! Apparently Moab is the place to be during Spring Break and we got to listen to drunk people and a girl hacking up a lung all night! Oh well, it ended up working out and we had a place to sleep which is all that mattered. The next morning we got up, ate breakfast and packed up all of our stuff and headed over to park! We had a lot of fun looking at all the beautiful arches and hiking up to "delicate arch"! That's right ladies and gents, this is the arch that is on all those Utah license plates! We also saw a lot of other amazing rock formations and had fun hiking around. So over all, this is the best camping trip I have ever been on! Thanks Sean!

Also, here are just a few more pictures for your viewing pleasure, and so you can feel like you were really there with us!

17 comments:

s.lloyd said...

Well this has been one of the best blogs you've ever written!! It was fun as frick. You forgot to mention a few key points that I will outline here:

1. This was your first ever night out in a tent, and you were scared, but survived.
2. I taught you all sorts of neat things about cryptobionic crust!!!
3. You learned why old people use walking sticks, and decided that you needed one too.
4. You taught me that people don't need sunscreen when they are going to be out in the sun all day, because all that happens is a painful red sunburn that kills, and then makes your face peel.

Anyway, it was a blast of a trip, and we WILL be doing it again soon. We have the Golden Eagle pass and I plan on using it.

Jill said...

Thanks for the comment, and there was a reason I left those "key points" out! I actually did mention the sunburn in the original. For all of you who don't know, this bad boy took me over an hour to put together the first time and then it got deleted. I was not a happy camper. Pun intended.

Alifinale said...

How fun and great pics. I almost felt I was there. Acutally I am jealous that I wasn't. I haven't had a good camping trip in quite some time (and probably won't for quite some time). I have never been to The Delicate Arch. Very jealous.

I also thought you don't need sunscreen when in the sun hiking all day. Are you saying I am mistaken?

Jill said...

No you are not mistaken. I would way rather have a sunburn and not wear sunscreen while hiking than wear sunscreen and be butt white.

Maybe its an awesome AZ thing?!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

Wow Jill I am impressed!!! I didn't know you could handle camping and hiking. That is a lot of outdoor activity. But I guess you did marry someone who loves that kind of stuff. You are adjusting well. I didn't not know that Indians were midgets. It look like you had a lot of fun. And just because you are red now doesn't mean will not be as white as me in a few months. :)

blah, blah by lindsey said...

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING BUTT WHITE, YOU BRAT!!

Marc said...

It's officially... you guys are granola loving hippies. By the way, did Sean tell you all about his sweet Moab Spring Break experiences watching out for all of his drunk friends and cleaning up after their vomit?

Jill said...

Ummm, no. Please tell

Shelly Bean said...

oh.. little jillie. good work. great blog...and pictures.
it is fun to read all about you guys... little cuties. i want to go next time. you probably would have even more fun-if you can imagine. i will try to keep up.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

billij-
jealous! steve and i hit up arches two summers ago with brr and jp. it was awsome. steve and i went on a long a run one morning-maybe 8 miles? in 100 degree weather. i'm still amazed that i survived it. we should plan a doubles trip-nash can hang with grandma or something. i need some camping! plus-we have this bitchin "cabin" tent that i got steve for father's day last year. it will be so impressive to someone has only slept in a tent once! have you been to maple canyon? we should go fo sho-it is FUNNER than FRICK!

p.s. i have worn sunscreen twice in my life. there is nothing better than crispy cheeks to remind you that you've lived another awsome day.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

do you have a road bike? steve got me one for valentine's day (a nice way to tell me to get moving and get rid of my baby fat!). i need a riding buddy......

Jill said...

Lizzy,

We will plan a trip for sure! I have never been to Maple Canyon, but I am always up for fun as frick trip.

I do not have a road bike, or any bike for that matter. I think I should maybe get into this bike craze though, it seems like alot of fun. However, I literally am the most out of shape person you will ever meet so I dont know how much fun I would be to ride with. But I want to try it! Maybe I can borrow a bike from someone...who is willing to let a first timer ruin it!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

um-did you forget that i just had a baby? talk about out of shape! we're perfect for each other. now, we just need to find you a bike.....

Steph said...

Nice post Jill! You are quite the blogger!

Maui said...

Yes tfb should have many fond memories of Moab.

This reminded me of a trip to Moab and Arches that Desi and I did one spring break. Drving around all night with no camping spots...finally pulling over on the side of potash road and sleeping a couple of hours right under some huge ass power lines...those things buzz freaking loud.

s.lloyd said...

Maui, we WOULD have done just that, but ONE of us was too afraid of the Cops and getting a ticket, and afraid of the dark.... Instead we decided to defy all camping laws and camp on a dirt plot in a dang RV camping spot. I felt like a $5 hooker in the morning when we left. It was gross.

Grace Ryan said...

Hey Jill! It was great to hear from you. It looks like you are having so much fun in Utah. I'm glad you're on this thing. Yeah, Rocky Point was tons of fun. That's so funny about you and Amy with the exedrin! The weather when we were there seemed perfect so we were lucky. The Abernethys thought it was funny how long we would stay at the beach all day since that's what I'm used to where I grew up. You and your husband should come down next year when we go. It looks like married life is treating you well. You are so beautiful Jill! :) Take Care!
-Melissa