Friday, June 17, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes

It's all about food this week, people. You either get pictures of my kids, or recipes....because that is all I really do with my life. And I'm perfectly happy with that.

I made these buttermilk pancakes this morning, mainly because when Wyatt wakes up he says "I want waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, eggs and toast." Ummm, ok, I'll get right on that! But every once and a while I will go all out and make pancakes. And I do mean go all out. Because they are a lot of work. At least for me. I always have a ton left over + a huge mess to clean up. But it's worth the hassle I think. My mom always tells me about how my Aunt Janie (who was the best cook- I remember she made these chocolate waffles which were so so good, and I am still trying to track the recipe down) would make pancakes, waffles, french toast etc. etc., and then freeze them. In the morning, she would just take a few out and warm them up. My mom also remembers her bringing over a bunch of frozen breakfast items after she had had a baby so she wouldn't ever have to worry about making breakfast for her older kids while trying to take care of a newborn. Such a good idea. So I have been freezing my pancakes and then reheating them in the morning, and it works perfectly. This morning I tried this recipe for the first time, and it just might be the best buttermilk pancake recipe I have ever made. They are super thick and fluffy. They come in a close second to my all time favorite Lemon Ricotta Pancakes which can be found on The Sister's Cafe blog.

Buttermilk Pancakes

Stir together in a mixing bowl:

2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
2 c. buttermilk (or if you don't have buttermilk you can substitute it with 2 c. milk + 2 tsp. vinegar - then remove the extra 2 tsp of mixture)
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl combine:

2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbl. sugar

Then add the wet mixture to the dry. Stirring until just combined (still lumpy).

note: You have to have this syrup anytime you have pancakes, waffles or french toast. It's just how things are supposed to be done. This is my favorite recipe given to me from friend Danielle Carly.

Buttermilk Syrup

In a saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil for 1 min. 

1 cube butter
1/2 c. buttermilk (or 1/2 c. milk + 1/2 tsp. vinegar)
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. karo syrup

Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. baking soda.



4 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

mmm...that's the best syrup ever.

i need to send you my liege waffle recipe. they are the bomb. like a croissant turned into a waffle.

whenever i make waffles i freeze the extras and then pop them in the toaster like an eggo. works great. especially because a.) i don't like making messy breakfasts and getting the kitchen all messed up first thing in the morning and b.) the kids get really mad that real breakfasts take so long to make.

Alifinale said...

I love the idea of bringing frozen breakfast foods to someone with a new baby. I often freeze for myself but how great to bring along with dinner.

And I am excited to try these pancakes. Thanks! I use the same syrup recipe and it is the best (but mine has vanilla).

Emily and Ethan said...

Yum!!! Great idea to freeze them too. Thanks!

erin said...

you had me at buttermilk. especially buttermilk syrup.